Year in Industry - Project Management
Share this article
Programme start date:
Friday 1 December at midday
Gain valuable experience working on key projects and programmes that shape how we connect the country.
What you'll be doing
If you’re an aspiring project manager, our one-year programme allows you to get inside a variety of exciting projects through inspirational placements across the business.
Guided and mentored by industry professionals, you’ll explore the full project lifecycle including project delivery and planning, financial and process control, and programme management.
Depending on your placement, you’ll learn about:
- Our major, multi-million-pound investment and improvement programmes
- Vital safety and innovation projects that shape how we build and operate our roads
- Strategic projects and programmes to improve business performance and ensure regulatory compliance
You’ll gain valuable experience whilst helping to develop, plan and manage projects that deliver real impact in connecting the country.
What you'll get in return
Being on placement at National Highways is a great way to get hands-on work experience on exciting projects in a large, evolving organisation.
We’ll support your personal and professional development every step of the way, equipping you with valuable skills and experience that will boost your graduate career prospects.
All our placements offer:
- On-the-job learning, with the chance to experience many different aspects of your business area
- Mentoring with senior managers to provide guidance, encouragement and development support
- Flexible working arrangements
As well as a competitive salary and our commitment to your development, you’ll also have access to some fantastic employee benefits. Find out more about the benefits we offer at National Highways.
What you'll need to succeed
If you have the passion to succeed that we see in our placement students every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- An enthusiastic, collaborative approach to working with others
- The ability to communicate in different formats with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent co-ordination skills
- The ability to plan and prioritise effectively to meet deadlines
- A focus on quality and integrity in everything you do
You’ll also need to meet these essential entry requirements:
- Currently studying in your second year of an undergraduate degree (in any subject) and expected to achieve at least a 2:2
- A minimum of a Grade C / Grade 4 in Mathematics and English Language at GCSE
It is key to know all offers of placements are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off. This includes delivery of nearly 70 major projects with a total value more than £14 billion, and some of the most exciting and challenging projects in the country.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date based on the volume of applications received. To ensure that we can consider your application, please submit your application early.