Environmental Practitioner Level 6
Share this article
Location: Bristol or Exeter
Closes on: 18 December 2023 at 12:00pm
Programme start date: September 2024
Discover how we protect the natural environment whilst developing our road network and achieve a degree-level qualification.
What you'll be doing
As an apprentice Environmental Practitioner, you’ll play a key role in protecting and improving the environments and habitats surrounding our roads to help create a more sustainable strategic road network.
Working with experienced environmental specialists and engineers, you’ll support our Operations teams, supply chain and third-party stakeholders to deliver environmentally sustainable projects and maintenance activities, which will improve and enhance the natural environment and wellbeing of local communities.
You’ll also complete an Environmental Management degree, which will be your first step towards industry accreditation with professional bodies, such as the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA), Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) and Institution of Environmental Sciences.
You’ll be able to apply your learning and gain lots of valuable experience across a range of environmental disciplines, including:
- Water quality
- Environmental impact assessment
- Environmental management
As well as developing your technical skills and knowledge, you’ll discover:
- How we develop processes and procedures to manage environmental assets on our road network
- How we collect and evaluate environmental data to develop future environmental improvement and enhancement projects and initiatives
- How we work together to deliver National Highways’ Environmental and Sustainability Strategy
Find out more about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship.
What you'll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package. Find out more about the benefits we offer at National Highways.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team.
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise.
- The ability to give and receive information effectively.
- The ability to write clearly and concisely.
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 / grade C or above, including English and Maths
Plus, a minimum of 104 UCAS points made up of either:
- A-Levels in any subject
- A mix of A-Levels and equivalent qualifications (e.g., T-Level, BTEC Extended Diploma) with a minimum of 2 A-Levels in any subject
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date.