Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Level 6
Share this article
Location: Bristol or Guildford
Closes on: 18 December 2023 at 12:00pm
Programme start date: September 2024
Explore how we develop, deliver and maintain operational technology solutions that keep our roads running and achieve a degree-level qualification.
What you'll be doing
As a Digital and Technology Solutions apprentice, you’ll join our Digital Services directorate, delivering innovative solutions that improve the experience for our customers and create a safer, smarter road network.
Working with experienced specialists in our Operational Technology team, this is your chance to discover the technology that you’ll see every day on our roads (and behind-the-scenes) and learn how it keeps our network running smoothly and safely. This includes roadside technology, such as signs, signals, cameras, emergency phones and detection equipment, plus our control room architecture.
You’ll explore the different stages of developing products for use on our motorways and A-Roads, from understanding the design and testing processes, to working with our maintainers and users to ensure they operate as intended.
You’ll also get involved with exciting and innovative technology projects that will make a real difference to our road users. Examples of previous projects include:
- Developing new technical specifications for our operational technology
- Researching autonomous and connected services
- Exploring ways of delivering real-time road gritting information for road users
On your learning programme, you’ll complete a degree in Digital and Technology Solutions.
Find out more about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship.
What you'll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package. Find out more about the benefits we offer at National Highways.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with National Highways.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
- The ability to give and receive information effectively
- The ability to write clearly and concisely
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 / grade C or above, including English and Maths
Plus, one of the following:
- A minimum of 104 UCAS points with A-Levels in at least one STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths)
- An equivalent Level 3 qualification (e.g. BTEC Extended Diploma) in a related subject
- Completed a Level 3 apprenticeship in in a related field
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
The Digital Services Directorate is a growing and vibrant team and there has never been a better time to join us as we go through our transformation programme. We are helping to transform the way National Highways operates by delivering digital, data and technology services from frontline to back office, in a modern and efficient way. Our vision is to develop integrated information and technology that empowers our colleagues and provides real-time information to our customers, integration with intelligent vehicle and transport systems as they develop, to improve journey safety and reliability.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date.