Civil Engineering Graduate
04 Mar 2022
Share this article
1 April 2022 at 11.59pm
About the programme
Our graduate civil engineers will mix your studies with real life work to build your knowledge on the job. Applying your studies and adding further professional experience to support the attributes of a Chartered Engineer. You will complete a series of inspirational placements over three years, and the projects, challenges and responsibilities you take on will complement your push towards becoming chartered by the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Senior figures within the team will help you plan your placements both internally and externally– with external partners and suppliers so you can take control of your development. There will be opportunities to develop your design skills, research and implement cutting-edge technology.
Once you have completed our 3-year flexible programme, you will have proven, certified skills that are in demand around the world, together with experience of equally impressive projects.
Moreover, you will have a wealth of new opportunities to explore right here, as you continue to make improvements to society by creating roads that are ever-more efficient, effective and above all safe.
This role is starting in September 2022
Our civil engineering programme offer:
- profession-specific schemes and additional learning to help you become a chartered civil engineer
- a combination of workshops, formal training and ‘hands-on’ experience to develop your technical, commercial and consulting skills
- opportunities to grow and develop ‘on-the-job’ through a variety of civil engineering placements
- real life exposure to infrastructure renewal programmes both internally and externally with members of our supply chain
- support and guidance of both a delegated engineer and a supervising civil engineer, who will help you plan and manage your training
- a dedicated line manager to provide you with encouragement, direction and career planning support to steer you into a permanent role with us at the end of your programme
- support after the programme for those who are looking to move their careers to the next level
- at least a 2:2 in an engineering or technology (accredited as a base for CEng learning) degree plus a Master’s (accredited or approved by a professional institution) or an equivalent level of further learning
- commercially-minded with excellent problem-solving skills
- good team player with an enthusiasm and passion to succeed
- proactive personality who meets deadlines and prioritises where necessary
- confident communicator and good listener
- clear and concise writer, able to effectively distil complex and detailed topics
National Highways operates, maintains and improves England’s strategic road network made up of motorways and major A roads. These vital arteries account for a third of all traffic, carry two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and are relied on by 98% of the UK’s businesses.
Increasing levels of investment are leading to all manner of innovations. But with 4,300 miles of motorway, 20,000 bridges, underpasses, retaining walls and other kinds of structures, our work continually increases in scale and complexity. Not least as we bring £27.4 billion-worth of projects to life, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.